Alberto Contador Cleared of Doping by Spanish Cycling Federation
Alberto Contador will retain his third Tour de France title and can participate in this year's Tour de France race.
Three time Tour de France Champion and Team Saxo Bank-SunGard rider Alberto Contador was cleared of doping Tuesday after the Spanish cycling federation reversed its proposal to ban him for one year, ruling he was not at fault for a positive test at the Tour de France which he blamed on eating contaminated meat.
Contador will retain his third Tour title and can participate in this year's race, but the International Cycling Union and the World Anti-Doping Agency can appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Contador tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol during last year's Tour.
"I'm relieved and obviously happy about this ruling," Contador said in a statement released by his Saxo Bank-Sunguard team. "It has been some very stressful months for me, but throughout the case I have been totally available for all inquiries in relation to my case, and all the way through I have spoken in accordance with the truth.
"To both the team and the authorities I have explained that I never cheated or deliberately took a banned substance."
The ruling came three weeks after the Spanish federation recommended a reduced one-year suspension rather than the standard two-year penalty. Contador's team then pushed for him to be cleared and face no punishment.
Disciplinary committee president Fernando Uruburu said the new evidence brought forward by Contador's defense team made the difference.
"We evaluated all of the information, including previous CAS decisions and judgments made by other national federations as much as the allegations brought forward by the cyclist himself," Uruburu said.
The UCI said it was waiting to receive the full dossier and would issue a decision on whether it would appeal within 30 days.
"The UCI reserves the right to conduct an in-depth study of the reasons behind the decision before expressing its opinion," the cycling body said while noting discrepancies in the initial proposal of a one-year ban and Tuesday's final verdict.
Contador is cleared to race pending any appeal rulings from CAS. The UCI has one month to appeal the federation's decision, while WADA has another 21 days after that. Any appeals process is expected to drag until at least June, with the Tour beginning on July 2.
Contador is expected to race for his new team at the 2011 Tour of the Algarve, a five-stage race through southern Portugal which begins on Wednesday. Contador, who is the two-time defending champion, is expected to give his first remarks on the decision later Tuesday in a television interview.
"If everything goes well, the rider will take the start, tomorrow, at the Tour of the Algarve," Contador spokesman Jacinto Vidarte said.
After learning of the proposed one-year suspension nearly three weeks ago, Contador vowed to fight any ban, calling himself a victim of antiquated, flawed anti-doping regulations.
"It's a question of honor, defending your pride and your innocence," the 28-year-old Spaniard said at the time.
Contador presented further evidence based along UCI and WADA anti-doping rules that allow the "elimination" of a sanction if the athlete can demonstrate "no fault or negligence"